This recipe was adapted from a Heinz recipe. It is wonderful really. Sometimes sweet potato is a strong flavour compared to the weak tasting pumpkins you get these days. I think the pumpkin soup helps blend the rice with the sweet potato. My husband has added stock powder, no doubt that helps as well. Because we do such similar recipes all the time he is getting quite good at knowing what to do. It is good to have a family favourite sweet potato recipe. I used to have Spicy Kumara and Beans in the sidebar, but have gone away from it now, I think because the kids weren't that keen?
Sweet potatoes can be thrown into the bottom of the pantry and forgotten about until a food emergency, they are wonderful.
Roasted Vegetable Risotto
• 400 – 500 g sweet potato, peeled and chopped into a large dice
• 1 green capsicum, chopped into a large dice
• 2 zucchini, halved and sliced on diagonal
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, diced
• 2 cups arborio rice
• 420g can Condensed Cream of Pumpkin Soup
• 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
• 1 tsp veg stock
• Fresh ground black pepper, salt.
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC. After cutting vegetables, mix with oil to
cover. Place on tray lined with oven bake and sprinkle with coarse
salt. Bake sweet potato, capsicum and zucchini for 25 minutes, or
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, add the onion and cook for 5
minutes, or until softened.
3. Add the arborio rice and toss to coat in oil. Add the soup and 1
can of water, mix well with stock cube. Simmer very gently for 25 - 30 minutes, stirring often, adding boiling water as needed to keep a bit loose. Season with a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper and season with 1 tsp of salt.
4. Stir in the roasted vegetables and parmesan cheese. Serve.