Sunday, February 14, 2010
This is my husband's version of two merged recipes we enjoyed recently.
Savoury Mince with Soft Polenta
Ingredients (serves 4)
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 3 carrots qtrd and chopped
* 400g Creamed corn
* 1 large brown onion, chopped
* 4 garlic chopped
* 500g lean beef mince
* 1 can 400g chopped tomatoes
* 2 tablespoon tomato paste
* 2 cups water , 2 beef stock cubes
* 2 ½ teasp worcestershire sauce
* 1 can 400g peas (or frozen)
1. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mince cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned, then after cooked then add onion, garlic and carrots.
2. Add tomato, tomato paste, stock and worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add corn and peas. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until peas are tender. If too thin thicken with plain flour.
Ingredients (serves 6)
* 1 cup milk
* 1 cup water
* chicken stock cube
* 3/4 cup instant polenta
* 20g butter
* 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Place savoury mince in a large saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until heated through.
2. Bring milk and 2 cups of cold water to the boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add polenta in a thin, steady stream, stirring constantly until combined. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and 1/4 cup of parmesan.
3. Spoon polenta onto plates. Top with the savoury mince. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan and basil. Serve.