Cabana/Kabana Recipes

I think I have been spelling cabana wrong on my blog. I have a picture from my Christmas hamper club, very small, but I think it is spelt Cabana. I am expecting some in a hamper and working out my menu. Kabanos?

So far on my blog I have recipes for cabana:

Versatile Paella
Macaroni Cheese with Kabana
Curry & Kabana Sausage Rolls
Kabana Cassolet
Kabana Fritters

Google is pulling up lots more recipes, which I'm sure everyone can find themselves. But for my menu planning I am going to post some below. Kabana is cheaper than Kransky I think.

Chilli, Kabana & Pumpkin Soup
Don Kabana Paella
Don Pappardelle with Chilli & Cheese Kabana (uses rocket, yum)
Polish Kabanos Soup
Kabanos & Lentil Casserole (excellent recipe for adapting!)
Fennel Seed Sauerkraut with Kabanos, Spring Onions & Sour Cream (video) this is getting exciting!
Chickpea & Kabanos Soup (uses eggplant which I don't like that much, another adaption coming!)
Creamy Kabana Pasta
Leek & Kabanos Frittata

If you are feeling generous with the meat
Gumbo Styled Chicken
One Pot Chicken & Kabana (uses beans, kidney etc.)
Kabana, Bean & Silverbeet Soup (sounds like a chorizo one on the taste site)


Put all your favourite stuff out there on your blog, seriously all my favourite stuff is getting more on the net, than when it was only me blathering about it. Coincidence maybe, true. If you have something that is little known, share. Same with kranskys, whatever you like that isn't popular put it out there.

We starting using cabana in meals because of a recipe from the McCormicks site in Australia for a lemon paella. They have since changed the meat in this recipe. I must post it, it was originally in a magazine, the page I still have. It is a family favourite.

I have found the original. I have linked back to this recipe but the page changes. So will post recipe and link this time.

Spanish Lemon Paella

Ingredients

  • 100 g Kabana ( 1 stick ), sliced or 100g chorizo sausage, sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
  • 1.2L liquid (stock or water)
  • 1 1/4 tbsp Lemon and Pepper Seasoning
  • 2 tsp Turmeric
  • 1 cup roast chicken
  • 1 cup mixed seafood
  • 2 medium, ripe tomatoes, diced
  • 4 spring onions, sliced

Method

  1. Fry the sausage and rice in a large, non stick pan for 3 minutes.
  2. Add the liquid, one cup at a time, stirring so that the rice absorbs it all.
  3. Just prior to adding the last cup of liquid, add the seasonings and roast chicken. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes, to absorb all the liquid.
  4. Stir through the remaining ingredients, then remove from the heat. Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and a handful of fresh parsley if desired.

From here: McCormicks Spanish Lemon PaellaLink

Our modification is using canned prawns. There may be some others. I noticed they have both meats on the recipe now, fantastic. I love the cabana version, and they spell it my way lol.


Pictured is kabanos from Flickr Creative Commons, click to go there.

Kabanos with Caraway, Cabbage and Potato (close up)

Comments

Popular Posts