Winter Squash Bread


Below is the recipe for the winter squash or acorn squash bread that I made a few years ago (2006). I had bought some seeds from Eden Seeds called Table Queen.



Squash Bread

Equally delicious for breakfast, snack or as a light dessert, this honey sweetened loaf can be spread with low-fat cream cheese or whipped butter. To warm: Wrap thick slices in a paper towel and microwave for 15 to 20 seconds on high.


2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 egg plus 1 egg white
1 1/4 cup pureed cooked winter squash*

On a plate, sift together first six ingredients. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix oil, sugar and honey together until light and fluffy.


Beat in egg and egg white. Add squash puree and beat until smooth.


Fold in dry ingredients. Turn into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.


Bake until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about one hour. Remove from the oven, let stand in pan 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire cooling rack or cake plate to cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Variation:

Squash Bread with Nut Topping

2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

After Step 4, pour melted butter over the top and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Bake as directed above. Cool and dust with powdered sugar.



I found the recipe here.

I found peeling the squash difficult, I don't have the knack, they have ribs in the sides of them. They are a really interesting vegetable. I really enjoyed Betty Crockers Fall Pork Dinner. I was very good at interpreting US recipes then as I did it often. I used a scone mix from the supermarket to make it with, and saladas.

Three Acorn Squashes by Janne Peters
Three Acorn Squashes

Comments

MyBulletinBoard said…
Thank you! What a help. I froze some after I baked them last year. Cutting them in half was a chore, then I baked them cut side down in a half inch of water for about 45 minutes to an hour. Just scooped them out and saved the pulp. Don't think I could have ever gotten them peeled first, but I have read that some do that. . . . . . Now I can hardly wait for them to grow this fall. He's planning one bed, and I believe he said they would be the same variety you mentioned. DH and I have a deal; he grows it, and I do something with it. I think he'll like this recipe.

Y'all have a good weekend! LizBeth

Popular Posts