Bread and Scones

When I was a little girl, I was equally fond of scones, white high tin bread, and scones.

White high tin, the double one sometimes, was wrapped in tissue paper and left in a cream can my Great Uncles' front verandah. Sometimes by the time I got it home from collecting the bread for Mum, there was a little hole in the crust: I can still image how it tastes. It was fun to separate the two halves. If our family didn't finish the loaf I was asked to feed it to the ducks that Mum kept.

And I am fond of the modern bread. When I was a girl the plastic wrappers I only saw when I went to stay at my Mum's best friends house with her six kids, husband at their dairy.

The bought bread had a distintive taste, and was kept in a cupboard. It is possibly like the cupboard I bought a couple of years ago, with two doors with tin lined hutch behind each. With an old-fashioned catch. I was so in awe of my Mum's friend's bread experience that I bought this cupboard.

I have thought often if I ever ran out of bread I'd make scones. But I haven't done it yet. I wasn't sure how it would work out. Plus I haven't ran out of bread. I thought if I was wanting to save money on a very tight week I would do that.

I have been buying more flour lately, but still there are not large enough amounts to make up for the 23 loaves of bread I buy a fortnight, but I still will do that if it will help. We keep our bread stored in the freezer. I try to buy equal amounts of wholemeal and white to be fair to everyone, but usually it is nearly all white with token amounts of wholemeal at the moment.

Scones are a favourite because of the Red Cross flower show held each year. There was a children's cooking section. My cousin entered her biscuits (cookies) and I entered scones. I loved to make scones. My favourite at the time was wholemeal date scones. I loved the flour that my Nana used to bake with. It was probably McAlpins. It still? comes in a cardboard type box. She loved baking so much that she had special flour drawers made in her cupboards and kept a teacup in there with a broken handle.



Her kitchen has been modified but I think the drawers are the two square ones. The house is for sale, this is the photo for it. Nana had a wood stove. She also had a colander with eggs under the sink.

I love to use a small drinking glass to cut my scones.

My Grandma always made square scones with a knife. Her parents were born in Scotland, she was too, but wouldn't remember living there.

At school I learnt to make a ring with dried fruit in it and cuts around the side. I got a lot of joy making that type of scone. I think it had spices in it as well.

Butter came in a square then, a pound, as Aussie know now they are roughly in half and 250g. My Nana used to teach me how to cut up the butter into ounces or whatever was needed for the recipe.

When we lived in our practice seachange house in 2003 once we did have little money for food and got a great bag of bread that was day old because we asked. It was for a nominal amount.

My Nana had a bread run, and the whole back of the ute was mostly stacked with shelves with mostly what was called parnies (sp?). It was Italian bread. My uncle and my aunty, my Dad's sister only ate this type of bread I think. A lot of our neighbours were Italian. At different farms the women came out fast to see Nana to get the perfect loaf in their perfect colour.

This post was inspired by a post at Down-to-Earth.

Comments

Linda said…
I have to admit as a Scot that my scones are failures. My children call them 'Mum's rock cakes'. Cruel, but true.
Linda said…
I am basically a Scot too and proud of it, actually just over half.

I make my dough a bit on the wet side.

Popular Posts